Portugal Travel Test Requirements
The information we have collated below was Updated on 05/07/2021.
It is possible that travel requirements may change. Whilst we endeavour to keep this page updated regularly, we recommend that you check the latest advice regarding International travel by visiting - Portugal travel advice - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk). Some airlines may have different requirements for travel, so please check with your airline as to the requirements they have in place.
The details below were collated using information displayed on the Portuguese and UK government websites and through direct communication with the relevant Portuguese covid testing centres. It is applicable for those travelling to and from Portugal and the UK, based on the current requirements as of 5th July 2021 whilst Portugal is on the Amber list for International travel.
For all visitors we advise that a comprehensive Travel Insurance policy, that includes relevant cover for Covid-19 is taken out before your holiday.
Travelling from the UK to Portugal
- All travellers, apart from children under 12, must have proof of a negative COVID-19 test to travel to or through mainland Portugal.
- The test can be a Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT), including RT-PCR, taken within 72 hours of travel, or
- The test can be an Antigen test that meets the performance standards set out in the EU common list of Rapid Antigen Tests, taken within 48 hours of travel.
- You must show your test certificate before you board your flight to mainland Portugal. Your airline is likely to deny boarding if you cannot show this at check-in. Check with your airline before you travel.
- You should not use the NHS testing service to get a test in order to facilitate your travel to another country. You should arrange to take a private test. Make sure you have a NAAT or an antigen test that meets the requirements. Check your test result identifies the type of test taken and gives your name, date of birth, the date and time the sample was collected and the date of the result.
- You will be subject to health screening on arrival. If your temperature is 38ºC or over or you show signs of being unwell, you may be required to take a further COVID-19 test and remain at the airport until you receive your test result.
- Quarantining on arrival in mainland Portugal
- If you have travelled from the UK to mainland Portugal, you must quarantine for 14 days in the place you are staying or at a place indicated by the Portuguese health authority, unless you can show you have been fully vaccinated with an EU approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to travel. Children under 18 are exempt from quarantine if they are travelling with a fully vaccinated adult.
- If the quarantining rules apply to you, complete this form SEF Travel
- You need to complete your online passenger locator form before you arrive in Portugal Turismo de Portugal (portugalcleanandsafe.pt)
Before you return to the UK - Travelling from Portugal (Amber list country) to UK
- You must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken in the 3 days before you leave Portugal (Please note children aged 10 years or younger are not required to take this test). See info at the bottom of this page on test centres in Portugal.
Your test result can be provided as either a printed document or an email or text message that you can show on your phone - make sure your device is charged.
Type of test - You must make sure that the test provider you choose can meet the standards for pre-departure testing. The test must meet performance standards of ≥97% specificity, ≥80% sensitivity at viral loads above 100,000 copies/ml. This includes tests such as:
- A nucleic acid test, including a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test or derivative technologies, including loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) tests.
- An antigen test, such as a test from a lateral flow device
Information that the test result must include- Your test result must be in either English, French or Spanish. Translations will not be accepted. You must provide the original test result notification and it must include the following information:
- Your name, which should match the name on your travel documents.
- Your date of birth or age
- The result of the test
- The date the test sample was collected or received by the test provider.
- The name of the test provider and their contact details
- Confirmation of the device used for the test, or that the test was a PCR test.
If the test result does not include this information, you may not be able to board, and may not be able to travel to England. If you arrive without a test result that includes this information, you might have to pay a £500 fine.
- Book and pay for day 2 and day 8 Covid-19 Travel tests to be taken after arrival in England (Children up to 4yrs are not required to take these tests) - Note - You may be able to end quarantine early if you pay for a private COVID-19 test through the Test to Release scheme.
- You need to provide your contact details by completing the online passenger locator form before you arrive in the UK Public Health Passenger Locator Form (provide-journey-contact-details.homeoffice.gov.uk)
On arrival in the UK you must:
- Quarantine at home or in the place you are staying for 10 days
- Take a COVID-19 test on or before day 2 and on or after day 8
Portugal test centres - Updated 07/06/2021
Please see below a list of local test centres we have selected from the full list, due to their locations in relation to our rental properties, and their contact numbers where the PCR test and/or the Antigen test can be done by appointment. These testing centres fulfil all the criteria recommended by WHO and the requirements for travelling to England and Scotland. The results are provided in several languages by email.
PCR tests cost from 100€ and the results take 24-36 hours. Antigen tests cost from 30€ and the result take 1-2 hours.
SYNLAB Central Lab - Faro - Telephone - +351 289821002 (PCR and Antigen - Mon to Fri) - Email - email@example.com
CovidDrive - Faro - Telephone - +351 289249745 (PCR only - Mon to Sat morning)
Loule Hospital - Loule - Telephone - +351 289249750 (PCR and Antigen - Mon to Sat)
Vilamoura International Clinic - Vilamoura -Telephone - +351 289314243 (PCR only - Mon to Sat morning) Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
For guests staying in the resorts of Vale do Lobo or Quinta do Lago the local medical centres are now offering PCR and Antigen/Rapid flow testing for Covid with the relevant documents for travel.
Tests are by appointment only (Monday to Friday am (Saturday am on demand)) and cost 129 Euros for a PCR test (results 24hrs) and 69 Euros for the Antigen/ Rapid flow test (results 30mins).
Contact details for appointments: Website - Family Medical Centres - Vale do Lobo · Quinta do Lago | Vale do Lobo and Quinta do Lago medical centres (family-medical-centre.pt)
Vale do Lobo medical centre - +351 289 398 009 +351 289 353 433 - email@example.com
Quinta do Lago Medical centre - +351 289 398 411 - firstname.lastname@example.org
There is also a testing centre in the departure area (near the check in desks) of Faro International airport (open 6am to 6pm Mon to Fri, and 6am to 7pm weekends) This facility is only for antigen tests, without appointment.
The charge for this is 30 Euros and the result take 1-2 hours.
We advise that you do not leave this option for your day of departure due to possible queues and risk of missing your flight home.
For visitors to Albufeira, a testing station has been set up outside the townhall, available to both residents and visitors.
Appointments must be made in advance for either a PCR test (70 Euros) or an Antigen test (20 Euros)
Tests meet the requirements as per the FCO website.
Book your test online Albufeira Safe - Albufeira Safe
You can also book a PCR or Antigen test online at the Aqualab testing clinic located up the hill from the watches roundabout Schedule Covid 19 (aqualab.pt)